With the ever-increasing merit in medical colleges of Punjab, it's very wise to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Try your maximum best to get admission in MBBS, but what if you don't? In that case, you need to have information about careers other than MBBS. There are a lot of careers you can pursue after pre-medical, other than MBBS, that have good job prospects in Pakistan. Some of those fields are BDS, Pharm D, Doctor of Physiotherapy, Allied Health Sciences, CSS and BS in many other subjects. In this article, we'll be focusing on BDS!
Bachelor of Dentistry: BDS is one of the most popular and designated degrees in the medical field. The BDS is the only educational and professional program of dental surgery in our country. The criterion for admission is the same as that for MBBS. Students appear for MDCAT and on the basis of their score in MDCAT, an aggregate is calculated which is then considered for admission. In this article, we’ll guide you in detail about this field, its subjects and its scope in Pakistan.
Duration of degree: The duration of the course itself is four years, after which there is a one-year house job that is mandatory for all dental graduates. The house job includes rotations in all four disciplines of dentistry and is a paid one.
- First professional subjects: Anatomy & Histology, Physiology & Bio-Chemistry, Sciences of Dental Material & Laboratory Techniques.
- Second professional subjects: General Pathology & Microbiology, General & Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Oral Anatomy, Histology, Physiology, and tooth morphology
- Third professional subjects: Medicine, Surgery, Oral Pathology, Oral Microbiology, Oral Diagnosis, Oral Medicine
- Forth professional subjects: Prosthetics and or including Crown & Bridge work, Orthodontia and Radiology, Operative/Restorative including endodontics pedodontics and community dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Anesthesia, Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, and Medico-Dental Ethics and Dental Practice Management
Scope of BDS degree in Pakistan:
BDS degree has a huge scope in Pakistan. There are plenty of good jobs & higher study opportunities available after getting a degree in dentistry as a doctor. It is the professional field with 100% job placement. BDS students can work after graduation in different areas including Dental Clinics, Hospitals, Educational Institutions, Pharmaceutical Companies, Dental Products Manufactures, and Private Practice. It is a highly sought after profession and your job is going to be really interesting as a dentist. Frankly speaking, dentists are awesome!
Employment areas for BDS Students:
Students having a degree in dentistry can work in the following positions:
1. Senior dentist officer
2. Dentist teaching staff member
3. Professor and lecturer
4. Assistant professor of cardiology
5. Assistant professor of pharmacology
6. Assistant professor of head
7. Assistant professor of orthopedics
8. Health advisor
9. Manager of Health care center
Colleges offering BDS courses in Punjab:
There are three public sector and 21 private sector dental colleges all over Punjab. Army medical college also offers 50 BDS seats every year and admission on these seats is granted on the basis of merit. The details of colleges in Punjab offering BDS course are given as follows:
The closing merit of public sector dental colleges for the year 2018 is given as follows:
De’Montmorency college of dentistry Lahore: 89.1182
Nishtar Institute Dentistry Multan: 89.0506
Dental Section Punjab Medical College: 89.0455
So, if you don't make it to MBBS but have an aggregate good enough to get admission in BDS, you should definitely not miss this opportunity. It's an interesting field with a lot of job prospects in our country.
In order to get daily tips and tricks to attempt MDCAT, you can join our MDCAT Facebook group for free! And if you want to enroll with us and become our regular student, you can WhatsApp/call us on 0347-0171480.